All parents are welcome at SHS. We expect that parents and guardians will contribute in the enhancement of their child’s learning.
Encourage your child to read, do his/her homework and keep his/her books and copy books clean and tidy.
Our expectations are:
- Before coming to school the child is properly dressed.
- The child has received something to eat and drink.
- The child’s hair is properly combed. NO COLORED Braids
- You take time-out to ask about their day at school.
- You check the child’s homework.
- You spend some time reading, talking, playing with your child.
- You support the teacher and work along with the teacher in order to bring out the very best in your child.
- You have regular contact with your child’s homeroom teacher.
If you have any questions, comments or suggestions about school, we would like for you to follow this basic outline:
- Please keep in contact with your child’s teacher regularly. Your child will benefit from this. Through better communication there will be misunderstandings and most important there will exist a positive working relationship. Teachers are here at school until 2 p.m.
Please refrain from sending your children with a cellular phone to school. Urgent calls can be made to the school principal or secretary and the message will surely reach your children.
We encourage you to attend parent evenings, meetings and workshops organized by the school or other educational stakeholders.
WHEN VISITING THE SCHOOL
Parents are kindly asked to check with the principal at all times first before visiting your child’s classroom.
• We also ask that you think about your dress code when visiting the school or attending assembly.
• When visiting you absolutely don’t want others impression of you to be a function of what you
• The purpose of your dress is to fit in and to keep the focus away from what you’re wearing and on the purpose of your meetings and visits.
• Minor incidents such as scratches, bruises etc
will be handled here at school.
• The situation will be assessed by a first responder
• Steps will be taken to ensure the child is stable/comfortable
• A call to parent/ hospital
• Do a follow up check with hospital/ family
• Have a talk with students
Assembly is held every other Monday morning to start our week. Each class gets a turn to share what
they’ve learned during the week. At the assembly we also sing our anthem, school song, birthday
song and we share the house points of the week.
Every month the house with the most points will be treated. There are also special activities planned
throughout the course of the year.
Parents and guest who would like to attend these assemblies are most welcome bi-weekly on Monday
morning at 7.30 a.m.
Excursions & Field Trips
Each year the students take part in various excursions to different places on the island. These are often linked with Saba Conservation projects or for a celebration. For these excursions we ask parents to assist and accompany the classes.
We find it a pleasure to celebrate each child’s birthday at school, but we strongly recommend that
parents do this at the last period of the day. For k1-k2 it’s at 11.45 – 12.00 and for Grade 1-6 between
12.15 –12.30. As we promote healthy eating; please share healthy snacks and treats during the
celebration time. Parent or students who chooses not to celebrate their birthdays we highly respect
Great Ideas for Healthy Treats are available online.